August 17, 2020 • Healthy Living
Dr. Ann’s Favorite “Convenience” Foods
- Washed, bagged or boxed lettuce greens
- Fresh salsa (Jack’s brand or Garden Fresh Gourmet)
- Canned beans
- Frozen berries (especially large bags of wild organic blueberries – available from wholesale grocers like Costco)
- Plain low fat or non-fat Greek yogurt
- Canned pumpkin
- Canned red sockeye salmon
- Prepared hummus
- Canned tomato products
- Dried Apricots
Here is one of my favorite recipes with canned tomatoes!
Another easy way to make hearty cooked greens that are really flavorful.
- 1 1/2 lbs greens of your choice rinsed, de-ribbed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, thyme, or rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
Sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet until barely softened. Add garlic, herbs, and salt and continue sautéing until onion begins to turn golden, about 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in greens and paprika and cover pan. Cook greens covered, stirring every now and then until desired tenderness. Serve passing the Parmesan and cracked pepper at the table.
Click the image to sign up for our email list so you can be the first to know
all the details about our upcoming Master Class.
It will be limited to 20 people!